Interviews are your chance to sell yourself and your abilities. They also give you an opportunity to determine if the job and the company are a good fit for you. Here are some simple guidelines to help you describe your work experience and reflect your personality in the best light.
Before the Interview
- Research the company and understand the job requirements
- Practice answering frequently asked questions such as:
- Tell me about yourself
- Why did you leave your last job?
- What are your strengths/weaknesses?
- Why should I hire you?
- Make a list of questions you would like to ask during the interview
- Bring 3-5 copies of your up-to-date resume
- Bring a pen and notepad to jot down any notes during the interview
- Dress professionally and appropriately for the interview
- Verify the address and best route to the interview location – be sure to arrive early
During the Interview
- Shake hands firmly, maintain eye contact
- Ask questions to create a dialogue and show your interest in the position
- Listen carefully, answer questions with a smile; give honest, direct answers
- Mention accomplishments that fit the job
- Ask what the next steps are in the interview process
- Thank the interviewer and restate your interest in the position
After the Interview
- Send a thank you note and include a follow-up response to one of the key interview questions – you can modify or expand on one of your answers